Understanding IELTS: Writing
Find out what you need to know about the IELTS Writing test and learn techniques and strategies to improve your test performance.
Prepare for success in your IELTS Writing test
The British Council’s four Understanding IELTS courses give you a complete guide to everything you need to know as you prepare for the IELTS test.
This course focuses on the Academic Writing test. You’ll explore the test format and develop strategies for each type of task.
You’ll look at graphs and charts in Task One, how to approach the task and the language needed for a successful answer. You’ll examine Task Two questions and learn how to plan, write and check academic essays.
You’ll also look at the assessment criteria, what the examiner looks for and how to write successfully for IELTS.
What topics will you cover?
- The IELTS Academic Writing test format
- The Academic Writing task types
- Graphs and charts – language for successful answers
- Planning, writing and checking an academic essay
- Assessment criteria
- What to expect on test day
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Explore the IELTS Academic Writing test and develop strategies for each type of task
- Investigate the language needed for a successful answer in Task One
- Apply techniques to help you plan, write and check academic essays in Task Two
- Develop confidence, learn how to improve your test performance and feel fully prepared on the day of the test
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone preparing for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. IELTS teachers will also find it useful.
Official Link | start cours
Who developed the course?
The British Council is on the ground in six continents and over 100 countries connecting the best of UK culture with a global audience and providing high-quality English language courses.