Understanding IELTS: Reading
Find out what you need to know about the IELTS Reading test and learn techniques and strategies to improve your test performance.
Prepare for success in your IELTS Reading test
The British Council’s four Understanding IELTS courses will give you a complete guide to everything you need to know as you prepare for the IELTS test.
This course focuses on the reading test. You’ll explore the format of the test and the kinds of text you need to read, and develop learning strategies to help you tackle the different task types, from multiple choice to true, false, and not given.
You’ll also look at general reading strategies that will help you cope with the kind of complex texts on unfamiliar topics that you’ll meet in your IELTS studies.
What topics will you cover?
- The IELTS Reading test format
- Reading strategies
- IELTS Reading task types
- Dealing with vocabulary
- What to expect on test day
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Explore the IELTS Reading test format and learn about the different kinds of text you need to read
- Develop learning strategies to help you tackle the different task types, from multiple choice to true, false, and not given
- Apply techniques that will help you cope with the kind of complex texts on unfamiliar topics that you’ll meet in your IELTS studies
- Develop confidence, learn how to improve your test performance and feel fully prepared on test day
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone preparing for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. IELTS teachers will also find it useful.